Food for the Soul

Excerpt from William Shakespeare's Sonnet 18

Disclosure: This post doesn't contain any recipes or food technically. But it's still worth a read.

I am currently in a creative writing course that is focused on poetry and fiction. It is of course for beginners; given the fact that I am only three months away from graduating and have only now decided to take my first college class in the English Department (better late than never)! Anyways, one of the things the professor told us on the first day of class was that we had "mandatory" creative self-care, aka "Food for the Soul" responsibilities. As students taking a creative writing course and even more so as writers, (I will forever milk the fact that I am being considered a "writer" by a professor who got her Ph.D. from Yale) that we must feed our creative side through reading, writing in journals, and giving back to the community (e.g. me writing a blog to share with the greater community about my creative outlet of cooking). I would have to say this was probably the first time that I felt ahead on my homework at the beginning of a semester.

This course has been a part of my overall greater goals for 2019, that is feeding my soul and spending more time to enjoy various joys of life, like art, literature and of course, cooking. In addition, volunteering my time to screen films (as movies are one of the many loves in life) for the Heartland Film Festivals (in Indianapolis, IN). But of course, spending time to write about food and create/discover new and exciting recipes has been the driver within my creative vehicle recently. Ultimately, using the blog is a way to strive towards establishing the work/life balance that I crave post-grad. I feel as though I am trying to make it a habit now, instead of it becoming a chore later on down the line. Therefore, I have been working hard to spend time reading books that feed my soul both personally and also professionally, as I am investing in my overall future and present happiness!

Anyways, this was just a little bit of a check in with me and my goals as we are already at the beginning of February and time seems to keep flying by too fast. However, to wrap things up, take time to unplug, stimulate your creativity, and feed your soul!
check it out! my blog is starting to fill up 


Bon Appetit,

Robin

Comments