'Tis the Season for Soup

Since it has gotten colder all I have been craving is soup! It's actually funny- whenever I tell people that I love to cook, they always ask me what my favorite thing to make is, and in the past couple of years, I've always said, "surprisingly, soup." 

I first really got into making soups while I was studying abroad in Italy... I know the land of pizza and pasta and I was making soup. Well, when I wasn't enjoying all that Italy had to offer, I would use a combination of leftover vegetables, both fresh and canned, with my roommate and we would make soup. I still think about our cheap, but incredible wine with fresh bread and homemade soup. 


While I am no longer in Italy and have a full-time job and am not "studying" abroad (even though I was actually in a pretty challenging program abroad), I have found some amazing recipes that I have made this Soup Season, that I want to share with you all!

    1. Vegan Instapot Butternut Squash Soup


This has been one of my favorites this year. I became obsessed with Butternut Squash Soup while in Italy, as it was easy to buy soup at the store. Simply reheat and serve with some leftover bread and just top it with some salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and some olive oil. (I recommend having this soup with the same toppings as well) It is perfection, to say the least, and this recipe by Gimme Some Oven is a great option for a quick soup to make and it's Vegan!

    2. The BEST Fire-Roasted Tomato Bisque

If you have ever been blessed with the experience of going to a Paradise Bakery (which was similar to a Panera Bread in the Southwest, Midwest, and Central parts of the United States) you might have tried their Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup. All I can say is that soup could literally fix anything. It was full of flavor, yet simple, creamy, but light, and best of all it had real chunks of tomato in the soup. While Paradise Bakery was bought out by Panera Bread over a decade ago, Panera Bread decided to keep their Creamy Tomato Soup instead of Paradise's Fire-Roasted Tomato soup on the menus... a true tragedy. Anyway, I have been trying to find copy-cat recipes and dups for this long-lost soup and this fall, I found Food & Wine's recipe and it is about as close as it gets! Honestly 11/10 for this soup!! This soup will get you through the winter with a nice sourdough grilled cheese on the side.

    3. Chicken & Dumplings


This recipe is fool-proof for any family. My 94-year-old grandma who adds salt to everything and my 8-year-old younger cousin, who is somewhat of a picky eater, both loved this recipe as is!! I was shocked, to say the least, it was the highest praise in my soup career! This simple and easy Chicken & Dumplings recipe from Pillsbury is great and was an amazing way for us to use the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving last week! 

    4. Buffalo Chicken Chili

While some might not consider chili to be a soup, I personally include chilis and stews when I refer to Soup Season lol! And you'll be glad I did, after trying this Buffalo Chicken Chili recipe by one of my favorite bloggers from Carmel, IN, Tall Blonde Bell. Since my dad's side of the family is from outside Buffalo, NY- we love our wings and I've grown up in Indiana loving fall evenings with chili and cornbread; this Buffalo Chicken Chili gave us the best of both worlds. A perfect recipe to use in the crockpot or even Instapot if you are short on time! *Definitely has some good heat behind it, so use less of the wing sauce or add more cream cheese if needed, depending on your heat tolerance. 


I hope you enjoy these recipes and make the most out of Soup Season. please be sure to comment and let me know if you try out any of these recipes and/or have any good recipes to share with me!

Bon Appetit,

Robin









Comments